Stalin’s Dacha at Kuntsevo
Stalin spent much of the war at his dacha in Moscow's Kuntsevo district, 9 km east-southeast of the Kremlin. Built between 1933 and 1934, the house was situated in wooded area. Luftwaffe coverage from 8 July 1942 shows the house set within a square secured area served by two gates (Graphic 1). Construction/support buildings in secured area at the northwest side of the compound in July 1941 (Graphic 2) had been removed and an excavated area inside the fence had been restored. A facility support area at the southwest corner was still in use in 2023. In 1942, the dacha was close to the front lines; many defensive positions –including a nearby tank ditch-- could be seen in the vicinity.