WW2 Aerial Reconnaissance Studies
Type your paragraph here.
This series of graphics show the Sachenhausen Concentration Camp complex as it appeared on 20 May 1943. Little about Sachenhausen, is unknown, so these serve only as an overview of complex, including: the Original Camp (1936), the Small Camp (1938), the Workshops annex (1939), the Special Camp (1941-1942), the execution Area, Station Z (1942-1943), the SS Barracks, and the SS-Concentration Camp System Administration HQ (Graphic 1 - 7). A few points of interest worth mentioning include: in Station Z, the crematory’s stack had not yet been constructed, indicating the facility was not yet operational (Graphic 3); mattresses were being aired beside barracks in the Small Camp (Graphic 4) and finally, a comparison between May 1943 and May 1944 shows how the Special Camp --which housed POWs and special prisoners-- was expanded (Graphic 5).
The SS Barracks (Graphic 6) was the home garrison of 3rd SS Panzer Division "Totenkopf"; the large building labeled "Green Monster" was the SS guards cantina.
Sachenhausen had a number of satellite camps. One of them (below) supported a large brickworks was located nearby across the Oder-Havel Canal to the northeast of the camp. At the time the brickworks was the largest in Germany, being served by its own small port. Note the firing ranges for the SS barracks.