top of page

The Extermination Camps

Coverage of the following extermination (Death) camps was found on a search of available imagery:
• Sobibor
• Treblinka
• Madjanek

Sobibor Death Camp

This 1944 coverage of the Sobibor death camp revealed possible ongoing concealment of the site. The camp was closed following a prisoner revolt in October 1943 and dismantlement began soon afterwards. Attempts to conceal the camp activities included the planting of trees and creating new roads (Graphic 1 & 2).

This 1944 coverage of the Sobibor death camp revealed possible ongoing concealment of the site.  The camp was closed following a prisoner revolt in October 1943 and dismantlement began soon afterwards. Attempts to conceal the camp activities included the planting of trees and creating new roads (Graphic 1 & 2).
This 1944 coverage of the Sobibor death camp revealed possible ongoing concealment of the site.  The camp was closed following a prisoner revolt in October 1943 and dismantlement began soon afterwards. Attempts to conceal the camp activities included the planting of trees and creating new roads (Graphic 1 & 2).

The coverage shows the areas where the prisoners were marched from the rail platform, through a series of processing buildings and along 'The Road to Heaven' ending at the gas chambers (Graphic 3). Bodies were buried or cremated and the remains buried in nearby pits.

The coverage shows the areas where the prisoners were marched from the rail platform, through a series of processing buildings and along 'The Road to Heaven' ending at the gas chambers (Graphic 3). Bodies were buried or cremated and the remains buried in nearby pits.

Trains at the rail siding and in the main yard suggested that the site was still occupied and concealment work was ongoing. Note that the fence screening the rail siding was still intact (Graphic 4)

Trains at the rail siding and in the main yard suggested that the site was still occupied and concealment work was ongoing.  Note that the fence screening the rail siding was still intact (Graphic 4)

Treblinka Death Camp

This coverage of the Treblinka Death Camp shows it some time in 1944, probably in the late summer or early fall. The facility was closed in late 1943, but both sections were still visible despite the small scale of the imagery (Graphic 1 – 3). Building foundations remained in Camp 1 and some equipment appeared to have been left in the adjacent quarry. Camp 2 --the extermination facility-- had been completely razed to remove all evidence of its activities. Two farm buildings that were constructed to conceal the site could be seen.

This coverage of the Treblinka Death Camp shows it some time in 1944, probably in the late summer or early fall.  The facility was closed in late 1943, but both sections were still visible despite the small scale of the imagery (Graphic 1 – 3).  Building foundations remained in Camp 1 and some equipment appeared to have been left in the adjacent quarry.  Camp 2 --the extermination facility-- had been completely razed to remove all evidence of its activities. Two farm buildings that were constructed to conceal the site could be seen.
This coverage of the Treblinka Death Camp shows it some time in 1944, probably in the late summer or early fall.  The facility was closed in late 1943, but both sections were still visible despite the small scale of the imagery (Graphic 1 – 3).  Building foundations remained in Camp 1 and some equipment appeared to have been left in the adjacent quarry.  Camp 2 --the extermination facility-- had been completely razed to remove all evidence of its activities. Two farm buildings that were constructed to conceal the site could be seen.
This coverage of the Treblinka Death Camp shows it some time in 1944, probably in the late summer or early fall.  The facility was closed in late 1943, but both sections were still visible despite the small scale of the imagery (Graphic 1 – 3).  Building foundations remained in Camp 1 and some equipment appeared to have been left in the adjacent quarry.  Camp 2 --the extermination facility-- had been completely razed to remove all evidence of its activities. Two farm buildings that were constructed to conceal the site could be seen.

Majdanek Concentration Camp, Lublin, Poland

The Majdanek concentration camp near Lublin was covered on 26 August 1944. The coverage revealed most of the camp and its facilities. Unfortunately, the camp crematorium --destroyed by the departing Germans-- was not imaged.

The camp was composed of five separate barracks sections (a smaller sixth section was not imaged) and was enclosed by a double security (Graphics 1 - 2). By the time the camp was imaged at least 10 buildings had been removed from the compound, including the camp's original crematorium.

The camp was composed of five separate barracks sections (a smaller sixth section was not imaged) and was enclosed by a double security (Graphics 1 - 2).  By the time the camp was imaged at least 10 buildings had been removed from the compound, including the camp's original crematorium.
The camp was composed of five separate barracks sections (a smaller sixth section was not imaged) and was enclosed by a double security (Graphics 1 - 2).  By the time the camp was imaged at least 10 buildings had been removed from the compound, including the camp's original crematorium.

Outside the fence line, the gas chambers, SS barracks, camp administration area, workshops, and dog kennel all remained intact (Graphic 3). Graphic 4 shows related facilities in the vicinity of Majdanek, including the camp farm, commandant's house, cremation area, two small firing ranges and an unidentified basin. A rail-served sub-camp was located at the SS Clothing Works northwest of the main camp

Outside the fence line, the gas chambers, SS barracks, camp administration area, workshops, and dog kennel all remained intact (Graphic 3).   Graphic 4 shows related facilities in the vicinity of Majdanek, including the camp farm, commandant's house, cremation area, two small firing ranges and an unidentified basin.  A rail-served sub-camp was located at the SS Clothing Works northwest of the main camp
Outside the fence line, the gas chambers, SS barracks, camp administration area, workshops, and dog kennel all remained intact (Graphic 3).   Graphic 4 shows related facilities in the vicinity of Majdanek, including the camp farm, commandant's house, cremation area, two small firing ranges and an unidentified basin.  A rail-served sub-camp was located at the SS Clothing Works northwest of the main camp
bottom of page